In the mid 1950’s, when Lawrence Weston was being developed after the second world war, Shirehampton Baptist Church and Tyndale Baptist Church, on Whiteladies Road, felt called by God to build a church on the present site. This became known as Lawrence Weston Baptist Church.
Initially funds only permitted the erection of a temporary, largely wooden, building and this was completed in 1957. It was apparently guaranteed by the builders for 15 years, who indicated that with good fortune it could last for 20!
This is the same building which some 50 years later has stood the test of time and, while it remains a Baptist Church, it has developed into a community building with currently some 200 plus individuals using the premises each week.
Hope Café and Church is an expression of
Lawrence Weston Baptist Church.
The name of the building was changed to Hope Café & Church in 2018 to more accurately reflect the use to which our premises are now put, whilst remaining a Baptist Church at heart. Lawrence Weston Baptist Church is affiliated to The Baptist Union.